(416) 929 0707
A Natural Elimination of the Symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
IBS is an incredibly common syndrome affecting nearly one in five adults. Traditional medicine has approached the treatment of IBS as a ‘disease’ generally prescribing ineffective quick-fix pills that simply mask symptoms. Dr Smith works to restore regular digestive function in IBS sufferers, using non-pharmaceutical products in combination with simple adjustments to diet and lifestyle, taking a holistic approach to one’s gut health. More significantly, often IBS is not IBS (which is essentially an umbrella term that is non-specific), but rather gut infection such as small intestine bacterial overgrowth, or yeast overgrowth, or other bacterial or parasitic infections. Dr. Smith uses a variety of highly regarded functional tests to accurately diagnose IBS, which allows for targeted treatment.
What is IBS?
Most who suffer from IBS experience much milder symptoms than those with inflammatory bowel diseases - ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease. IBS tends to be a catch-all phrase with the primary characteristic of a gastrointestinal disturbance, including changes that occur in your daily bowel movements -- differences in the frequency or consistency of stools, the presence of pain or cramping, etc.
Digestive disorders like lactose intolerance, diverticulosis, Crohn’s and colon cancer can have similar symptoms as IBS, so it is important to have a complete evaluation by your naturopathic doctor to determine if what you have is IBS.
Common Symptoms Include:
- Abdominal pain, discomfort and bloating
- Constipation and/or diarrhea
- Low appetite
- A connection to stress
- Anxiety or depression
- Painful bowel movements
What Causes Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
IBS can have multiple root causes, the most common of which can included:
- SIBO - small intestine bacterial overgrowth
- Food sensitivities and intolerances
- Inadequate nutrition
- Bacterial infections
- Imbalance of healthy gut bacteria (dysbiosis)
- Lack of digestive enzymes
- Lack of exercise
What is the Natural Treatment for IBS?
Since there are multiple possible causes Dr Smith with take an individualized approach to your treatment. Solutions considered include:
- Food sensitivity and allergen testing if indicated
- Stool cultures or sibo breath test (to rule out various infections) if indicated
- Antimicrobial or yeast treatments if diagnosed
- Cleansing and restoring homeostasis in the digestive tract
- Healing the digestive tract to ensure optimal nutrient absorption
- Restoration of digestive enzymes and stomach acid
- Customized dietary and lifestyle recommendations
Dr Smith may also explore other digestive issues with similar root causes including:
- Indigestion, bloating
- Constipation, diarrhea
- Candida or yeast overgrowth
- Crohn’s Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Gastro-esophageal reflux (GERD)
- Stomach/Intestinal Ulcers
- Mouth canker sores
- Colon Cancer
- Poor fat digestion/fat malabsorption