About Dr. Smith
Dr. Smith closes the gap between the most current medical diagnostics, research and naturopathic medicine, merging the best of both paradigms and delivering optimal integrative medical care.
Dr. Smith is committed to a high standard of care with an evidence-based approach and works collaboratively with MDs, specialists, and various medical practitioners.
While she treats acute illnesses such as colds, much of her time is spent working with people of all ages with chronic health conditions whether it’s healing the problem completely, mitigating or eradicating side-effects from medications, decreasing symptoms, or improving immune function and quality of life. She prioritizes prevention by decreasing risk factors so that the body can self-regulate and stay balanced and healthy. Dr. Smith deeply respects the intricate intelligence between the body and the mind and between our internal and external environments, and how this is implicated in the art and science of healing.
Dr. Smith received an honours degree in communications at Queen’s University and later, took pre-medical science courses then completed the 4-year full-time program at the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine. Subsequently, she has completed advanced medical studies in various areas but focuses on hormone health, infertility, oncology, gastrointestinal disorders, anti-aging and functional medicine.
Prior to becoming an ND, Dr. Smith worked for many years as a producer in television, radio and documentary film in current affairs and related programming. She worked and volunteered all over the world from Bangladesh to the Amazon, and learned about the formidable power of various ancient healing arts which inspired her to investigate naturopathic medicine and completely change her life.
Dr. Smith is a licensed, board-certified naturopathic doctor in the province of Ontario, a member of the Ontario Association of Naturopathic Doctors and the Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors.
Dr. Smith stands out for a few reasons:
1) Dr. Smith works for two days a week with a medical doctor, Dr. Shari Caplan, MD with a special focus on endocrinology, thyroid health and bioidentical hormone replacement therapy. Simulatenously, Dr. Smith and Dr. Caplan offer their patients complete spectrum care, merging naturopathic and conventional approaches to solving complex health concerns.
2) Dr. Smith continues to strive for excellence by continuing to take continuing medical education courses and attain advanced clinical training in Canada, the United States, Germany and India, in various modalities including those sited below. Most recently Dr. smith was at an Intravenous Therapy conference in Toronto, this past August of 2016. In December 2016 Dr. Smith will be in Las Vegas at the Annual World Congress for Anti-Aging Medicine.
Below are some of the areas of focus:
- intravenous therapy →
- functional medicine →
- adjunctive cancer care →
- bioidentical hormone replacement therapy →
- anti-aging medicine
- thyroid conditions →
3) Dr. Smith merges her skills from her first career (media) by occasionally working as a medical consultant on various feature films, television series and documentaries.
4) Dr. Smith has a wealth of life experiences from living and working in remote communities around the world, to having worked in the media for many years, to balancing being a parent and managing a business, all while walking the talk and putting the time and work into staying healthy. No small feat – as all of us know (!) All of this contributes perspective, empathy and and understanding of how to help move you forward – this being the art of practicing medicine.
“There is something deeply personal and yet universal about witnessing the vital force of the human spirit, which plays a pivotal role in healing. I am priviledged to see this often. To see my patients decide that they are worth it, decide to rally, and decide to make empowering choices – there is nothing more inspirational than that.”